It happens to everyone sometimes that he has to open a canned food without having an opener. How can you open a can without using this essential equipment?
5 ways to open a can without using an opener
1. Opening a can with a machete
If you have a machete with you, you can use it to open a can. This is one of the older ways
Opening a can this way step by step:
- Place the can on a hard and level surface.
- Make a hole in the side of the can with the machete.
- Insert the machete horizontally into the resulting hole.
- Press the machete so that it cuts the lid off of the can – be careful of your fingers.
2. Opening a can with a regular spoon
If you want to open a can and don’t have a knife with you, in this situation you can open the can with a spoon or other cutlery.
- Rub the tip of the spoon right at the edge of the can.
- Do this until you make a hole in the can.
- When you have made a hole in the can, enlarge it with the spoon.
- When you have opened the whole can, then use the spoon as a lever to open it.
3. Kneading the can
This method requires a lot of force and you can get dirty in the process.
Opening the can this way step by step:
- Grasp the can horizontally while intertwining the fingers of your hand.
- Apply pressure to the can with your fingers and metacarpals.
- When kinks form on the can, apply pressure in the opposite direction.
- When the can breaks, break it in half.
4. Opening the can using concrete
This method is considered by many people to be the most primitive. You will need a flat stone or a piece of concrete to open the can this way.
- Place the can upside down on a hard surface such as: stone, concrete.
- Rub the can very quickly for a few minutes.
- Turn the can over.
- When you squeeze the sides of the can, the lid will come off by itself.
5. Using a kitchen knife
Opening the can with an ordinary kitchen knife is one of the most common methods. Opening a can this way is step by step:
- Holding the can firmly, make a hole in the lid preferably right at the edge.
- Holding the knife in the hole you made, slide it along the edge of the can.
- Lift the can lid with the knife.
Opening a can without using an opener is not difficult at all – everyone will find the best way for himself.